EditorialThe cover picture shows locomotive No. 41202 hauling a double header (locomotive No. 41203 can just be seen behind the leading engine). This was probably the last passenger carrying train to be seen in Wrington. This was a Railtours special visiting all the branch lines in Somerset that were still running at the time. Wrington All Saints Church can be seen in the background, and the cottages and houses in Station Road. The train is standing at the end of the coal yard, which is now the junction of Garstons Orchard and Garstons Close where the railway passed over a low bridge across Web’s Brook/ Rye Brook. Thedate of this photograph is 28th April 1957.In the picture the Railtour has reached as far as it would go on the Blagdon branch. Wrington lost its passenger service on 14th September 1931 and was closed to goods on the 10th June 1963. The line on from Wrington to Blagdon closed entirely 1st November 1950. This picture from the Mike Morant Collection, published by the Cornwall Railway Society http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org. uk .
Copy to the editor for the April 2017 issue: Deadline Monday 13th March 2017.The Wrington, Butcombe, Redhill and Burrington Village Journal. firstname.lastname@example.org Editor : Ian Parsons, 11 Garstons Close, Wrington, Bristol BS40 5QT. Tel : 01934 862095. Advertising : Judith Gallop, 3 Westward Close, Wrington, Bristol BS40 5LU. Tel : 01934 862621. Distribution : Liz Darcy, Le Moignes, High Street, Wrington, Bristol. Tel : 01934 862221.Treasurer : Christopher Tarr, Garstons Close, Wrington, Bristol BS40 5QT.Printed by : Maxwell House Printers, www.maxwellhouseprinters.co.uk. Tel : 01934 822601.
A video of the last steam train to be operating in Wrington can be found at http://www.wrington.net/archive/2014 and shows the contents of the film taken by Derek Davey plus a commentary from him (thanks to Richard Thorn). It is likely that the remaining empty trucks to which he refers in his article were removed later by a diesel locomotive, as this was common practice after the steam locomotives were decommissioned at the Bristol sheds in the summer of 1963. I remember a similar series of events on the North Somerset line (Bristol, Pensford, Radstock, Frome) when the steam locomotives finished hauling the last steam-hauled coal trains from there.The cover picture and these notes were prompted from reading John Rubidge’s initiative described later in this issue of the Journal (Wrington thru the lens), and the railway was probably the single industrial event that most affected Wrington. Please support this intiative as there is a wealth of information in the village that may be lost to future generations.Please send your copy for the Journal to: email@example.comIan Parsons Editor